Thursday 28 April 2011

TIN Bullion stamp

I've had 1 kilo bars of pure Tin on sale for a few weeks now and even though people buy them, I think people want them with the stamp of what the metal is, the weight and what purity. Which is fair enough.  Especially as Tin looks very much like Silver.  I think Tin is softer than Silver.  You can just about scratch Tin with your fingernail.
1 Kilo Tin bullion bar
Here is a render of the stamp I'm having made to stamp the bars of Tin.  Excuse it looking a bit weird.  It was late at night when I finished the model, and the stamp on the finished bars would be more central.

1 Kilo Tin bullion bar
As you can see the text is embossed and is very defined.  This is because Tin is quite a soft metal and less tonnage is needed to make a mark. Unlike Copper which is soft but needs 100tonnes pressure to make a mark.

I think Tin is possibly a better investment than copper.  I say that because, Copper is about 1/4 the price of TIN, so by the time it gets to you the cost of the postage is smaller compared to the metal value.  
As these ingots are cast by hand the price gets cheaper the more that get cast.  
So if you see the prices of these bars come down over time it is because more bars are being cast, and not the actual price of the metal going down.
I don't think we'll see the price of metals go down for years.


No comments:

Post a Comment