Friday 10 December 2010

The saga of the copper bars.

I set up the website http://buycopper.co.uk/  to sell bullion copper bars but it's been such a nightmare getting them manufactured I diversified into selling silver coins too.
It took over a month for me to get hold of a 25 kilo bar to make the initial batch, which ended up a 24kilo bar.
Here is what the copper billet looks like straight from the copper foundry(after being cut).  It's not like something hand cast in somebody's back garden. It's pure and exact.

After getting the bar I got let down by somebody who said he could stamp them, then said he couldn't, I finally found a pressings factory which made the beautiful press pictured below..
 But, they didn't do a very good job of the polishing and the pressing didn't seem very deep, so I've taken the 22 bars to a proper polishing workshop in the heart of Birminghams Jewellery Quarter.
The copper face he shined up in front of me as a test was astounding. So I've left the bar in his very capable hands and I'm not sure where to go after that, because the polishing is going to remove a bit of the pressing. Re pressing the bars is going to be difficult because aligning up the press with the writing already on the bars may go completely wrong.
I'll be offering a hefty discount on these bars regardless and I'll make sure the following batch of bars are perfect.
Maybe I'm being overly careful about the presentation, because when you see say a 1 kilo bar of silver it often looks quite rough.
All copper bars will be vacuum sealed to keep the shine. Obviously if you take it out of the sealed bag the air will get at it and the shine will fade, but the important thing is the asset of owning a kilo slab of copper.

No comments:

Post a Comment